Saturday, September 13, 2014

THE EPIC ADVENTURE BEGINS . . .

                  LOVE BUGS!!!

Our Departure from Oakland, Florida (elevation 121') happened at about 9:30 AM this morning. So excited to get underway finally! Our first three to four days will be spent putting miles behind us. Driving about eight hours each day in the beginning. Then we can begin to slow the roll once we get to a higher and cooler elevation. 

The Airstream is packed to the gills. If one of these rivets pop we will be in a lot of trouble. Exploding like a bag of microwave popcorn. Scattering our belongings down the interstate. I can just see it!


Right as we got off the interstate for lunch ... Love Bugs! We pulled over at a rest area on I-10 near Montecello, FL. It was actually very pleasant after we got past the swarm of Love Bugs. They were so bad I had them on my face and stuck in my hair. Outback in the picnic area there was enough of a breeze to sit outside with no bugs. What's for lunch? It was the first time  for me . . . Uncrustables! I know what you are thinking but they were not that bad. It was more of a convenience to have them defrosted and ready made sitting in the truck cooler.  Hmmm ... Could one make their own to freeze?


This evening Tim and I landed at an Airstream park in McDavid, Florida. Mystic Springs A/S Park is located on the Escambia River and we could tell it use to be a really nice park at one time. It looks a bit run down. There are ants everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. You can not stop for one second. Seems to have more SOB trailers here than Airstreams. Huh? Guessing there are about ten rigs here total. The place is still nice. It's quiet and we figured we would have a better chance getting in here than in a state park on a weekend. Plus at $15 for full hook-up I'm really not going to complain. 


While trying to get a nice photograph of the river this evening I smacked my head into a dead tree branch, while being bit by ants and almost stepping on a snake. This all happened in about three seconds. No picture of the river was acquired. 


MILES DRIVEN TODAY: 456
ELEVATION: 39 Feet

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 1, 2023 - HOME SWEET HOME

Finally home! What was supposed to be a seven hour drive became ten. We had a few stops along the way that added a little time.  But it the...