Sunday, August 1, 2021

July 31, 2021 - Paraphernalia of Fly Fishing



Other than washing clothes, going to the camp office for a milkshake and walking Jett everywhere we had a very relaxing day. 



The rest of our time was spent reading about fly fishing, going through what little gear we have and Tim got me started tying some of the most needed knots for the sport. 



I only had a few pieces of rope to practice with. This is a good start until I can get some monofilament. The only line we have is fly line, leaders and tippets. Not cheap items to practice with. 



I read an entire book on fly fishing … The Cutis Creek Manifesto. It gets right to the point and cuts out all the other non-essential jargon not needed. Also in my arsenal of goods are two other very technical fly fishing books that I have digitally. This turned out to be a good reference for items that I did need more detail on. 



A few years ago I did begin practicing casting. The professionals make it look easy. I hope to get both some casting practice in and actual fly fishing done over the rest of the course of this trip. 



What have I learned? You can’t become a pro in a day. There is so much more to learn than one would think … rod and reel type, fly tying, dapping, casting techniques, reading water, gear, costume, hooks, knots and even stalking! 



I’m glad I took the time today to read, learn from Tim, talk to Bob in the fly shop (so encouraging and great words of advice) and familiarize myself more with the entire process and to be able to do this outside in the perfect fly fishing environment! 

I can’t wait to hit the water with my first fly! 

Travel day tomorrow, Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

D10 - 05/08/24 Part 2 - BONUS POST

And just like that two minutes after my first post today the sun came out …