Friday, August 27, 2021

August 26, 2021 - Day 2 of SOTF Welding Clinic




This morning after breakfast I returned to the Dolly Dome only to find a few locals hanging out. There are so many and they are everywhere. 



Since my 102 group did not have to be in the shop until 1pm we took a field trip. So we ‘know a guy’ who lives about ten minutes away and were invited to his home and shop. Pristine! The ladies who went enjoyed and appreciated his hospitality and time spent with us. 



I think he has everything! Including …



As soon as we got back to the shop it was back to work. We were given ten horseshoes, a rebar square and a pile of scraps to dig through. Our objective was to be creative and make a project from these items. I decided on making three horseshoe wall hooks and a horseshoe wall hanging with a hook. Not super creative but these will be practical items I can use at home. 



Next up was to begin our welding bend test. We have to join two pieces of flat metal end to end by welding them together. After running our bead welds to fill the deep ‘v’ joint (mine took four runs to fill) the next step is to grind the welding lines flat. Then the guys in the shop will cut our pieces in half lengthwise bending one in a U in one direction and the other in a U in the opposite direction to test our welding skills. I’ll do my test in the morning! 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

D10 - 05/08/24 Part 2 - BONUS POST

And just like that two minutes after my first post today the sun came out …