Saturday, June 29, 2024

D61 - 06/28/24 SAVAGE ALPINE TRAIL HIKE























What a hike!!! Tim and I decided to take the bus out to hike the Savage Alpine Trail. It’s one of the few marked and maintained trails here in Denali National Park. Lucky for us we had talked to Ranger Brian the other day about this hike. He suggested that we start at the Mountain Vista area to take on this four plus mile and over 1,400’ elevation gain trail and finish at Savage River Loop Trailhead. This would give us a nice steady climb up to the summit area then to the backside of the mountain and the end of the trail would be steep rock stairs, boulders and short quick switchbacks with many more uneven rock stairs. 


If we had reversed this hike I probably would have called it barely into the hike. When we got to this point on our downhill final leg so many people hiking towards us (just starting) were asking us questions and they wanted to turn back. It is rated as a strenuous trail and I would agree. We took our time. Took many pictures. And always remembered to stop and turn around to look along the way! 


The trail started in a forest of spruce. Then followed along a small creek as the trail began to gain elevation. There were areas of chest high heavy willow brush and then wide open tundra to rocky terrain above the tree line. The wildflowers along the way were very beautiful. I think this is what I liked so much about this trail was the constant change in landscape. 


When we got almost to the top there was the most beautiful wide open plateau like area with gorgeous panoramic views of the valley floor below and mountains in the distance. Just stunning! This is where we decided to find a rock to sit on and have our lunch while taking it all in. Smoke from wildfires have now begun to move into the area. Between that and the heavy cloud coverage Denali was not to be seen today. 


Those who know me, know I am afraid of falling (not heights), at the point I saw the trail in the distance go the long length of a narrow ridge line ahead then disappear over the backside I told myself right then I’ll just turn around and hike back the two hours in the direction I just came from. 


Tim was great. He got me through it. The ridge was not as bad as I had expected. I was slow going down the uneven rocks and boulders but made it without turning around. He thanked me for not sitting down on the trail and scooting down. Yes … I did that years ago in Zion! LOL 


Tomorrow will be a super special day for us. First some puppy love. Then meeting friends north of here in Healy. 


Between Jett’s walks, the hike and a walk tonight to the Riley Creek Mercantile for a well deserved ice cream … 20,157 steps today! 


Time for some Vitamin I (i) and time for bed! 


Sunset: 12:16 am

Sunrise: 3:42 am


Wildlife viewings:

Arctic Ground Squirrels

(many of them) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

D142 - 09/17/24 DEADHORSE POINT

Last night at the museum we had rain off and on throughout the night and very strong winds. Other than that it was a very quiet night. Oh an...