Sunday, May 8, 2016

MORE THAN JUST A BEACH


Jett Wymer got me up at 5 AM! She insisted on going out to do her business at that early hour. When we came back in I laid back down but couldn't sleep as laid there watching the sky begin to brighten. When I couldn't take it any more I took off for the beach. At 5:48 AM no one else is on the beach but by 6:05 a few other sleepy campers peaked out amongst the dunes. 


My effort was worth the spectacular sunrise. I'm so glad I went out there. The wind and splash of the constant waves hitting the beach was almost magical. I'm a bit tired this evening because of it. Next time I need to play some tunes or bring the ukulele with me. 


Later in the morning after breakfast I went back out to the beach but this time with Jett in the lead. She just loves it out there. She is still not use to the waves. As the big waves near her she jumps up and then runs from them but goes back for the next wave. Too funny! 


The afternoon brought Tim and I a short hike. Just across the road from our campground is the Hammock Hills Nature Trail. Jett lead the way again! We made our way through pine forest, shrub thicket, sand dunes and wetlands. It was pretty cool to have this so close to camp. 


Next up we took a ride back into Ocracoke. Here we got the lay of the town and talked to a local about kayaking in this area. As it looks we may wait to kayak once we get a bit farther north. 



The last thing we did prior to heading back to camp was to stop at the Ocracoke Island Light Station. Built in 1823 it stands 77' 5" tall and has 86 stairs. It's the nations second oldest still in use. 



Now to figure out tomorrow's agenda! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 1, 2023 - HOME SWEET HOME

Finally home! What was supposed to be a seven hour drive became ten. We had a few stops along the way that added a little time.  But it the...