Saturday, August 5, 2023

August 4, 2023 - HAMMOCKS AND HUMMINGBIRDS


Morning Temperatures:

Exterior: 46*

Interior: 51*




Our morning was another lazy one. The Airstream Bubble couple stopped on their way out to ask a few questions and say their goodbyes. We finished our coffee and thought we would go fishing. 




As I went to take Jett on a final walk before going fishing I looked at my phone, that’s on airplane mode to save battery, and I had a voice message. How did I get that? Anyway we had received a message from our next location that a river front site had opened and I needed to call them right away. 




Our options are to either drive 22 miles north to Telluride for cellular coverage or drive 6 miles south to Rico for coverage. We drove to Rico. This is how much we are in the boondocks. I love Rico! So excited to go back there. Settled in 1879 as a mining town. The area was known for its silver, gold, iron, copper, coal, manganese, zinc, bismuth, pyrite, and molybdenum deposits that seemed to promise an unending supply of minerals. Population after electricity came to town and during one of the mining booms was over 4,000 people. In 2021 it was just a population of 347. Now it’s a sleepy little town with modest summer tourism. 




Once we finalized our new campsite and had returned to the Airstream I hung my hammock and we watched the hummingbird feeder that we had put out yesterday. We knew that there were a lot of hummingbirds here so we came prepared. Now we realize that we have created a war zone for them as they are territorial. At least six hitting it all the time and chasing each other away. 




With all the commotion today we had had breakfast but missed lunch. I had set out some sweet Italian sausage for dinner. So knew we were set there. This afternoon we both went fly fishing from our campsite. It did not take long for me to catch a nice rainbow trout then Tim caught a smaller one right after me. Normally we are catch and release but with us catching two so close we immediately decided that we were having fish for dinner tonight. The sausage will wait! 



With no flour, why I don’t know, Tim just pan fried them in butter with some garlic salt. Delicious! It doesn’t get any fresher or better than this!! I wonder what we will do tomorrow?? ;-)))




Bedtime temperature:

Exterior: 59*

No comments:

Post a Comment

D10 - 05/08/24 Part 2 - BONUS POST

And just like that two minutes after my first post today the sun came out …