Wednesday, May 21, 2014

NEW AIRSTREAM WINDOW TREATMENT DESIGN . . .


Finally the last of my window treatments have been installed in the Airstream. Last year I made both front and rear drapes. Then we replaced the old white dinette roller shades with new black roller shades and replaced the kitchen roller shade with with an aluminum mini blind. The only thing left to replace were the side bedroom windows. Last year before I took off to Clearwater for six months I designed and made those new window treatments. The plan was to install these while the bedroom was dismantled for the floor/trunk repair. That didn't happen! I needed to be there and have some time and consultations with my engineer for the exact placement in order for these to work properly.


OLD ROLLER SHADES

Well the time finally came a few weeks ago for the installation. The original idea came from the mariners and from a boat my parents had when I was in high school. These snap style covers are used both on the interior and exterior of boat windows. I made an exact template for each of the windows out of craft paper and went from there to make patterns for each window. For the installation my engineer (Tim) used Stainless Steel 3/8" Screw Snap Studs in the window frames. On the actual window treatments that I made we used the matching Stainless Steel Sockets & Buttons installed with a handy dandy snap die tool that we have for our canvas work that we dabble in. Where the old roller shades hung I had Engineer Tim place rivets in those holes to help conceal that.



These window treatments are amazing. No more bumping into the shades while getting into the wardrobes or snagging them while making the bed. No more dingy crinkled and shredding roller shades to look at. Remember they have had ten years of hard use. The new design & snaps allow for the shades to conform to the curve of the Airstream walls. No more thoughts of 'Can someone see in those gaping side cracks of the roller shades at night?' I also sewed drape black out material on the back side of each piece of material. It's like a dark den in there now even in the middle of the day.










 SPECTACULAR NEW AIRSTREAM WINDOW TREATMENTS


These are so versatile they can be snapped into place to completely cover the windows. I can un-snap the bottom and then re-snap the bottom toward the top of the window frame to give a Roman shade look. Or if you want to take a nap while the windows are open I can do a reverse Roman shade configuration from the bottom. Just in case someone walks by they can't see in from the outside but the window can still be open allowing for airflow. And they can come completely off depending on where you are. I pre-washed everything prior to sewing so if need be it's a quick throw in the washer to be cleaned. Brilliant!!!





VIEW TO REAR BEDROOM ... ALMOST A COMPLETE BLACKOUT
DURING THE DAY WITH NEW WINDOW TREATMENTS

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 1, 2023 - HOME SWEET HOME

Finally home! What was supposed to be a seven hour drive became ten. We had a few stops along the way that added a little time.  But it the...