Thursday, July 1, 2010

ANOTHER RECAP



WILD, WONDERFUL WEST VIRGINIA THIS TIME . . .

This blog entry will cover the time period Tim & I spent in West Virginia at Coopers Rock State Forrest near Bruceton Mills. We ventured out on May 22nd, 2010 and had an amazing journey traveling through eleven states. On June 15th, 2010 we returned home only to want to go back out again. Most of the time while we are on our camping trips we tend to venture away from the tourist crowds (off the beaten path & off grid) and head as far away from civilization as we can. Or at least try to hit the popular places in their off season. This usually means no internet or cell phone service and definitely no TV. The way I get my blog out while traveling is to take a few photos with my cell phone each day and then take a gazillion photos with my Nikon SLR camera. Then at the end of each day I write my blog, save it in the note application on my iPhone then copy/paste it into an email the next day, with the phone pictures attached and send it as soon as I can get a cell phone signal. Usually when we return home from our adventures I will then post additional blogs with the better digital pictures. This way my friends and family can see a better depth of field and more details in a picture than what the iPhone can do. So that is what I am doing now and here are a few more pictures taken from this amazing trip we took last month. Yes, it is JULY now and we are back at home in the heat of Florida.


Road leading into the forrest. I love the blur in this photo. It really shows the travel speed and that we are moving.











Mossy Carpet















Tulip Tree Flower













Hiking to Raven Rock Lookout. This was taken near the start of our 2 1/4 mile hike one-way up the mountain. I had no idea there was beautiful fern in West Virginia.












Almost to the top @ Raven Rock. The last leg is always the steepest. No switch backs here.





















Raven Rock Lookout. Only way to get here is to hike it up the mountain. And the view is well worth the effort.










Tim @ Raven Rock













Alice (me) @ Raven Rock. Notice the chunk of rock to the left missing from below the cliff. Glad there wasn't any missing below me. ;-)













Tim & I @ Raven Rock












Return hike from Raven Rock. Almost done with our 4 1/2 mile mountain hike. On our return down the mountain there was a girl jogging this trail and another guy on his mountain bike. I think the girl was just a show off and the guy was just plain crazy.








Road leading to Coopers Rock Lookout. We rode our bikes to this lookout. It was a very fast, quick return back down to camp.


















Coopers Rock Lookout with Cheat River below.












Tim @ Coopers Rock Lookout. If you look just over Tim's left shoulder you can see the power line cut up the mountain in the background. This is the same cut you can see above our heads in our picture together above at The Raven Rock Lookout.









Our campsite at Coopers Rock














My next blog entry will better cover our travels we had from West Virginia to Virginia, The Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park and The Blue Ridge National Parkway.



No comments:

Post a Comment

September 1, 2023 - HOME SWEET HOME

Finally home! What was supposed to be a seven hour drive became ten. We had a few stops along the way that added a little time.  But it the...