Monday, January 15, 2018

FIRST SOLO JOURNEY


 
January 11 - 15, 2018



I did it! My first solo trip. I’ve been building up to it. Practicing backing up. Hitching up. Unhitching. The driving and towing I already had down. 



This past June I found out about this rally through Sisters on The Fly an organization that I am a member of. The membership is nearing 10,000. Most of their events are no kids, no dogs and no misters. They are now allowing dogs at most of the events and on a rare occasion will hold events where misters are allowed. I’ve been a member of SOTF for about five or six years and this will be my first adventure with them. A trip of many firsts. SOTF holds events all over the U.S. 



This particular rally is held in Crystal River, Florida each year and is called The Mermaids and Manatees Rally. Thirty of us from 12 different states transcended into our campsites with anticipation of a good time. Their motto is ‘We have more fun than anyone!’. And that we did! 

Campfires, a potluck, The Manatee Festival, which I highly recommend. One night we drove out to Ozello and ate at Peck’s Old Port Cove. Yummy seafood! Very old Florida and very accommodating for a last minute reservation for 15.


Look out! Manatee!!!

On Saturday I was to join a few of the ladies for a kayaking trip on my paddle board while others in our group took a boat to Three Sisters to swim with the manatees. It was a very cold 45* morning and very, very windy. No sun. I wouldn’t be able to use my board due to the wind but got lucky when a kayak rental became available so I could still go. It was still a challenge due to the weather but worth the effort. 



I won’t forget my favorite outing on the trip ... hanging out with Mermaids! Live for real MERMAIDS y’all!!!





When we arrived at Weeki Wachee Springs State Park first thing was getting our hands on a schedule and a quick trip into the gift shop. Two other sisters went with me and we ran into four other sisters already there. 



First up was the Mermaid Show. Amazing! Then we took the Wilderness River Cruise. Fun! Then we went back to the Mermaid Underwater Theater to watch ... wait for it ... The Legendary Sirens perform! The Legendary Sirens show include performers representing decades from the 50’s to the 70’s. Absolutely spectacular!!! We sat in the second row center stage. 



Before their show began all six of the Legendary Mermaids performing did their own introduction. One lovely Mermaid said ‘I may be 73 years old but when I get in that water I’m 19 again. Don’t ever let anyone steal your magic!’ What an inspiration! Wow! Wow! Wow!!! Best day ever. 
 


During the show I realized the front row, that had been reserved, was full of other Legends. After the show we met them and took photos of and for them. We even tried to get them to join SOTF. Never know we could have a Mermaid sister soon! 



All in all it was a really good trip. Everything went very smooth for me. My new sister friends that I met are all amazing ladies who I admire.  They either left their misters at home, are divorced or widowed. I really stepped out of my comfort zone. Built some confidence and realized that I can do this on my own. I had a really great teacher ... Thanks Tim! I’m hoping I can continue to meet with my SOTF group and possibly do a few trips a year with them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

September 1, 2023 - HOME SWEET HOME

Finally home! What was supposed to be a seven hour drive became ten. We had a few stops along the way that added a little time.  But it the...