Friday, April 17, 2015

BULLHEAD TRAIL . . .



Thursday, April 16, 2015

This morning came with a heavy heart not wanting to depart. The LeConte Lodge made us feel at home in this most beautiful, majestic and so peaceful of a place that was started back in the mid 1920's. We will one day return. On a happy note the morning began with a mostly clear sky! 


Breakfast came just a couple minutes late. The few of us who were outside saw The Hip Guy being carried up to the trail on a backboard. Once cleared up on the trail the diner bell rang. As we were seated we heard the Air Medivac helicopter over us. It landed on Myrtle Point, a sigh of relief passed over all of us who knew what was happening. 


Breakfast was set out the same as the day prior. So we knew what to expect and informed the newbies at our table not to over do it on the pancakes. They so didn't listen. Oh well . . . at least we won't be doing the hike down on a extra full belly. 


Our hike down Bullhead Trail began with some sun and a partly clear sky! Tim and I could see Gatlinburg below and Pigeon Forge off in the distance. 


For the most part our hike down was uneventful. We took our time and absorbed all that  Mother Nature could give us. Including more rain. Just after the halfway point it began to rain and continued for about an hour.  


Near the Bullhead vista two massive work horses met us. The best we could tell is that the riders were doing trail maintenance as they made their ascent. They carried some sort of satellite radios, tools and massive chain saws. Tim and I had a short conversation with them as they passed. I was in awe of the size of the horses and a bit thrown off not expecting to see them. 


Not long after passing the horses we came upon a sharp and very steep switch back at which point a massive tree had recently fallen. With the fresh saw dust it appeared that our horse trail maintenance guys had just cut a path through this tree so that us hikers could safely pass. Slip Slidin' Away as Paul Simon says. Because that's exactly what I did trying to maneuver this newly laid obstacle. All I remember is sliding face first, down hill in the mud on my knees and me throwing my left hand up in front of my face just prior to sliding into the end of the newly cut tree trunk. 


Next Tim had to maneuver over me and the obstacle to get ahead of me. I was unable to get up being face down and my feet higher than my head. In a way I really wish he had taken a picture. To get me up he had to grab the upper straps on my backpack to lift me to my feet. So now I am laughing (Tim too) and grateful I was not hurt. That little fall could have been really bad had I not stopped myself. 


The trail head parking lot was a very welcome oasis. My SUV was still safely parked just where we left it and after a quick change of clothes, because there was no way that now muddy Alice was getting into my SUV, we were out of there. 


Tim and I then drove off heading south on 441 from Gatlinburg. The road took us through constant rain and fog. The magnificent views continued even in these conditions as we finished our drive over the Great Smoky Mountain Range. It really reinforces why it's called the Great Smoky Mountains. After a three hour drive we've now landed in the mountains of north Georgia with just the basic necessities for the evening. Phase Three begins . . . 


No comments:

Post a Comment

September 1, 2023 - HOME SWEET HOME

Finally home! What was supposed to be a seven hour drive became ten. We had a few stops along the way that added a little time.  But it the...