Tuesday, October 23, 2012

THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX . . .


For now lets just forget about the box and think outside. I have spent many months searching high and low for the perfect material to use in order to make the front panoramic drapes in the Airstream. It seemed as though nothing was just right in the local material stores. So thats when I decided to look at other resources for the material ... I was looking on line at vintage material sites ... or at buying ready made house drapes to cut up ... or sheets ... when I started looking at shower curtains. The patterns on the material caught my interest more so that anything else I had found at that time. So that was my final decision. Buy shower curtains and blackout drape material and get to sewing. By thinking 'outside the box' I came up with one of a kind custom drapes for my Airstream. The following pictures are the before pictures of the original drapes hanging (having been gently washed) and then the final reveal of the finished 'shower curtain' drapes.












Back in September when I made the rear window drape for the Airstream I mentioned the quote I received to get both these drapes made ... $499. When I made the rear drape my cost was $32.48. The materials for the front drape cost $82.86. Bringing the cost for both drapes to $115.34. My goal was to come in under $150. Yes, the time to make the drapes is an expense and I no doubt the value and skill it takes someone to make these. In the end I have something to value more because I stepped outside the box and made these myself. 

P.S. ~ The drapes came out great (better than anticipated) ... however I don't think Airstream will be hiring me for their upholstery department anytime soon. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 1, 2023 - HOME SWEET HOME

Finally home! What was supposed to be a seven hour drive became ten. We had a few stops along the way that added a little time.  But it the...