Friday, September 13, 2024

D137 - 09/12/24 SILVER FALLS

























A nice walk on the beach was in order this morning. I had to take one last beach walk to get my feet wet in the Pacific Ocean. Even in the fog and haze it still was beautiful. After breakfast it didn’t take long to depart Cape Disappointment and get on the road heading to our next location. 


What a crazy drive it was today! It was a real quick jump into Oregon. We fueled and got groceries in Warrenton. Then took a bunch of backroads to avoid Portland. Yikes! 


The roads were extremely winding. I have never towed on roads this narrow. So narrow it wasn’t wide enough in places for the full width of the white edge road stripe. And obviously no road shoulders. It was a good challenge. Beautiful backcountry through lively farms. We saw fields of orange pumpkins, corn, farmed Christmas trees and even bright yellow sunflowers in a field the shape of a happy face. 


Basecamp for a few nights is at Silver Falls State Park. Incredible place here. I know growing up I always had a vision of what a National Park campground should look like. And I had imagined them all to look the same. You know just like the woods in the movie ET. Or like the Ewok forest on Endor in Return of the Jedi. Then when I visited my first National Park campground it didn’t look like that. But they were still all amazing and beautiful. 


Well I have found that vision I had of that campground. It’s right here at Silver Falls State Park Campground in Oregon. Deja vu! The Douglas-fir here are majestic. Some are over 200-300 feet tall. The ones behind the Airstream are fatter than the Airstream is wide! There’s also Western hemlock and big leaf maples here too. I’ll get better pictures tomorrow of the campground as it was getting dark on us when we arrived. When we walked Jett it was so dark we could barely tell where the road was and that’s with two headlamps. 


This Oregon State Park is known as the ‘crown jewel’ of this state’s park system. There are many recreational opportunities here. I’ve had it on the bucket list for a number of years and I’ll be excited to explore it tomorrow. What’s the reason I’ve been drawn to it? Not for the trees but for for the waterfalls! Ten of them!! I’m sure we won’t be able to see them all but we can at least try. 


Sunset: 7:26 pm

Sunrise: 6:47 am


Elevation: 1,360’


Miles from home: 

3,072 miles 


Wildlife viewings:

Black Tail Deer

Canada Geese

Squirrel

No comments:

Post a Comment

D142 - 09/17/24 DEADHORSE POINT

Last night at the museum we had rain off and on throughout the night and very strong winds. Other than that it was a very quiet night. Oh an...