Thursday, January 24, 2019

MERMAIDS & MANATEES






This time last year I ventured out on my own for my first solo trip in our 2004 Airstream to Crystal River, FL. I had a blast! So when this gathering came around again I jumped at the chance to go. It’s held every year over the long MLK Holiday weekend. 



It was again a great outing. Fourty members attended. All in vintage/retro rigs, tents or cabins. The opportunity to meet other ladies out on their own, doing their own thing is an amazing inspiration for all. The Sisters on The Fly is a fabulous group to belong to with over 800 events held every year here in the US there is opportunity for everyone. 





Nine of us ventured out to go paddling. I was the only one on a paddle board. This was one of the most gorgeous paddling trips I have ever done here in Florida. And the weather was perfect! 





Usually we head south from Crystal River to go see the Mermaids in Weeki Wachee. However the park is under renovations currently and the Mermaids were off somewhere farther south taking a well deserved winter break. We were still able to go swim with the manatees! Last year I chose to paddle during this adventure. It was cold & windy. So this year I decided to take the pontoon boat option and have a better chance at seeing them. Boy was I right! They swim near you, go under you, check you out and then do a gentle barrel roll to wait for a belly rub. AMAZING! What an experience. One to remember for quite awhile. 





Some of our other activities included an open house to tour our rigs, hiking, attending the Manatee Festival and nightly campfires. 

Other events that are held with SOTF touch on welding, cowgirl college, photography, rodeos, fly fishing and diving. The opportunities are endless. So much to do it’s hard to decide on my next event to attend with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

D2 - 04/30/24 NORTH OF ATLANTA

Today’s travel day was pretty uneventful. I took the wheel the first half of the day. Had light traffic into Georgia and just a little rain....