Saturday, July 27, 2019

CUSTER STATE PARK, SD - DAY 1



At the crack of dawn this morning I took off with Jett for her morning walk. While cruising through the campground in my jammies I hear an on/off noise like someone is dragging a blue boy on the ground in the other side of the campground. Then all of the sudden the sound is ever so familiar. It’s a hot air balloon!!! Majestically but slowly rising above the grand forest. Jett and I went off on a trail running a ridge line to get a better view. Spectacular! 



This will be our shortest travel day over the next four months. Tim moved the Airstream from camp site number 33 to site number 28. Jett and I just walked over. 



This will be our basecamp over the next six days. From here we will explore what we can in the time allotted. Based on weather and day of the week we have a lot of ground to cover. 



O nce Tim and I got settled in the new site we decided to go for a hike down to the lake with Jett. The trailhead starts at the campsite where we were at last night. Jett just couldn’t walk fast enough to the lake!



At a glance at my FitBit this evening I have done over 10,000 steps today. And it says 48 floors. Wow! I know it’s mountainous here and I have been all the campground and down to the lake and back. But that’s just crazy! 



On our return to camp I got a little hammock time before the rain set in. Then we had ‘blueberry lemonade’ beverages prior to some very tasty Mexican Taco Stew for dinner. A perfect day!!! 



Today’s quote - 

‘I am at home among the trees.’ - J.R.R. Tolkien

Temperature- 76* (nice)

Elevation - 5,250’

No comments:

Post a Comment

D13 - 05/11/24 NORTHERN LIGHTS

What a busy day! My sister and I went to the Bozeman Farmers Market after she took care of her horses. Then I had some other shopping to do ...